Know the Signs of Pet Poisoning! You Could Save a Life

While pet owners should always do their best to keep things that are poisonous for pets put away securely and out of their pets’ environments, pets can still sometimes get into and ingest things they shouldn’t. For Pet Poison Prevention Month in March, our veterinarians are raising awareness about the signs of pet poisoning so that you can recognize if your pet might have ingested a toxin, take immediate action, and seek emergency veterinary care right away.

Common Pet Poisons and Toxins

Substances that are poisonous or toxic to pets can be found just about everywhere you look. They’re in our refrigerators, pantries, medicine cabinets, cleaning supply cupboards, bathroom toiletries, gardens, garages, and in nature.
Ingestion of the following substances can cause permanent organ damage and even be life-threatening to pets.

Signs and Symptoms of Pet Poisoning

The signs and symptoms of poisoning can vary based on what particular toxin a pet has been exposed to and how much of it they have ingested. Pets that have ingested a poisonous substance sometimes only act a little strangely or seem slightly confused. Other pets might have severe symptoms such as:
If you have any suspicions that your pet could have possibly ingested a poisonous substance (for example, you notice odd behavior or appearance, signs and symptoms, or evidence like bite marks in toxic plants or packaging), we strongly encourage you to seek immediate veterinary care.

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests a Poison

If you suspect your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, it’s important to take action right away.